News
Army commutes death sentence on soldiers to imprisonment
The Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai, has directed that death sentences by firing squad passed on 66 soldiers in January and March 2015 by separate court martial be commuted to 10 years imprisonment each.
In a statement issued in Abuja on Saturday by acting Army Spokesman, Col. Sani Usman, Buratai said the sentences would run concurrently.
The statement said that the cases of soldiers facing similar disciplinary actions were also being reviewed by the authorities concerned.
The statement directed the review of the sentences following petitions received from and on behalf of the accused soldiers.
“Following series of petitions, the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai, ordered for a legal review of the cases and the directive was carried out to examine the merit of each case.
“It was on the basis of the review and recommendations that the Chief of Army Staff commuted the death sentences of the 66 soldiers to 10 years imprisonment which are to run concurrently.
“The cases of other soldiers are being reviewed and will be made public once the appropriate reviews are completed,’’ the statement quoted Usman as saying.
It will be recalled that 71 soldiers were arraigned on several charges in joint trials by Nigerian Army earlier in the year.
The soldiers were arraigned on several count charges that included criminal conspiracy and conspiracy to commit mutiny.
The other charges were attempt to commit an offence (murder), disobedience to particular orders, insubordinate behaviour and false accusation, among others.
Out of the number, 66 were found guilty on some of the count charges and sentenced to death while five were discharged and acquitted.
The Nigerian Army has, earlier in the year reinstated hundreds of soldiers dismissed from service and redeployed them to operations in parts of the country
-
Latest5 days agoTinubu files: US Judge grants four-day extension in FOIA disclosure battle
-
Latest1 week agoOsun Decides: INEC declares Adeleke winner
-
Comments and Issues2 days agoCan President Tinubu Revive Nigeria’s Moribund Refineries?
-
Entertainment4 days agoPoco Lee faces rape allegation as unverified UK arrest report spreads online
-
Featured6 days agoBeyond Osun 2026: What Adeleke’s re-election reveals about Nigeria’s road to 2027
-
Business2 days agoTinubu knocks Atiku’s subsidy plan, says proposal shows ‘ignorance’ of economy
-
Business5 days agoStandard Bank eyes stake in OPay ahead of planned $4bn US IPO
-
Business4 days agoProfit-taking hits NGX again as First HoldC leads market declines


