Military hints of review of Maiduguri curfew
From BODUNRIN KAYODE, Maiduguri
THEATRE Commander of the north East theatre, Major General Lucky Irabo, has said that the lingering curfew killing night businesses in Maiduguri will soon be reviewed.
Although he could not specify when the good news will manifest the meticulous intelligence officer said that he was still discussing and weighing the options before the management of the war theatre and the government.
He told newsmen recently in Maiduguri that because of certain exigencies related with fluctuating intelligence, they were still working on the extension of the timing from 9pm which it stands at now.
He told reporters that he was aware that people were clamoring for the extension of the time but can only respond when it is fairly safe to do so.
On the war against insurgency and what looks like a strongly worded message coined operation ‘crack down’ Irabo said that the Nigerian Military have been able to mount several offensive crack downs into the Sambisa forest within the week.
According to Irabo, during the process of the recent offensives against the Boko Haram insurgents thirty four women were freed in one swoop while twenty eight children also celebrated freedom in the barracks with soldiers.
The operation which was supervised by the general officer commanding GOC commanding the seventh division General Victor Ezugwu lasted for a couple of days inside the sambisa and was equally supervised by the army Chief General Yusuf Buratai who was also along the Bama axis.
Briefing newsmen Thursday at marmalari Barracks, the theatre Commander major General Lucky Irabo described the operation as highly successful as the men of the boko Haram are clearly destabilized and are on the run from all indications.
ALSO SEE: Search Boko Nigerian Air force bombards Boko Haram at Sambisa forest
General Irabo said that there were Cameroonians equally captured and have been in the captivity of Boko haram till they were recently released by Nigerian troupes.
Irabo said that twenty eight children were equally rescued from the hands of the insurgent Boko Haram some of them were paraded for the media to see.
The peculiarity of this operation is that the Chief of defense staff General Abayomi Olonishakin was equally in maiduguri during the week to assess the strategies of his generals whom he met in close door at the theatre headquarters before addressing the press.
The defense chief equally commended the operation which he said was the commencement of the removal of boko haram from the entire Sambisa forest where they have held sway for five years.
He said that he had been briefed by his chiefs of the challenging areas remaining to move them to the next level of excellence and assured that such equipment that will assist the air and army chief will surely be provided to permanently subdue the insurgents.
On Chibok girls, General Olonishakin assured Nigerians that if some of them are still holed up inside that forest they will surely be found one day.