In Tuesday’s The Sun, Neil Custis writes about the possibility of Jose Mourinho leaving Manchester United for Paris Saint-Germain, and says that Mourinho’s representatives has spoken to PSG:
‘The flirtation with PSG still raised eyebrows at Old Trafford — as will this approach.
‘It is not the first time they have attempted to get him, having tried to hijack his appointment at Old Trafford in summer 2016. PSG’s sporting director Antero Henrique worked with Mourinho at Porto and will be seen by PSG as a key player in trying to land him.
‘Mourinho is nearly halfway through his three-year contract and United want to tie him down to a new one but there have been no negotiations so far.’
It’s weird that Custis says that there have been ‘no negotiations’ between Mourinho and United over a new contract, because it was only on October 12 that Custis told us how ‘Jose Mourinho is ready to sign new £65million five-year Manchester United deal after brilliant start to Premier League season’.
‘Mourinho, 54, is the best-paid manager in world football alongside his Manchester City counterpart Pep Guardiola, with both earning £250,000 a week,’ Custis wrote then.
‘This basic wage will stay about the same but the Portuguese’s incentive package for trophies and league positions is set to rocket. The final details are still to be agreed.’
So from the basic wage, bonus payments and length of the contract being confirmed but finer details to be agreed to ‘there have been no negotiations so far’ in the space of three weeks.