Business
SEC denounces Ponzi scheme, declares it cancer to capital market
The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), at a press conference in Abuja on Friday, denounced the ponzi scheme, declaring the scheme as “cancer” contaminating the effective operations of the capital market.
The Director-General of SEC, Lamido Yuguda, said this at a post Capital Market Committee (CMC) meeting, saying that the commission had been fighting a serious war against Ponzi schemes where people without licenses extort money from unsuspected victims.
The Director-General said that the Commission had been working with other agencies to reduce access of ponzi schemes to advertising platforms.
Yuguda stated|: “We have been saying that people should only deal with registered operators that have the registration of the Commission.
“You must confirm that an operator is licensed with the Commission before you patronise them.
“We have done a lot of sensitisation to discourage people from patronising ponzi schemes but unfortunately, a lot of people still patronise them.
“We have cases reported to us and our enforcement and police unit have been working on many of these cases trying to resolve issues of investment that have been lost.
“It is not really difficult to recognise a ponzi scheme. When a return is too good to be true, desist from it.”
The D.G. added that the Commission is collaborating with the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to fight money laundering and ponzi schemes.
He assured that the Commission would continue to enlighten the public to desist from patronising ponzi schemes.
The director-general revealed that the 2021-2025 revised Capital Market Master Plan (CMMP) would be launched at the next CMC meeting in November.
He said the revised CMMP would help the market to meet up with current and relevant trends.
-
Featured1 week agoOsun 2026: What the battle could signal for 2027 general elections
-
Latest1 week agoCoca-Cola faces backlash over alleged AI filter blocking Christian messages
-
Featured1 week agoOsun Election: How poverty turns ₦20,000 into a powerful vote-buying tool
-
Latest1 week agoOsun poll: Chaos in Ejigbo as voters, INEC officials run for safety
-
Latest1 week agoOsun Poll: Police dispute Speaker’s siege claim, nab 300 at politician’s residence
-
Latest1 week agoOsun poll: Adeleke accuses Police of aiding APC supporters to disrupt voting [VIDEO]
-
Latest5 days agoTinubu files: US Judge grants four-day extension in FOIA disclosure battle
-
Latest1 week agoOsun Decides: INEC declares Adeleke winner


