- Insist on restructuring
Notable Igbo leaders drawn across political and state actors, including traditional institutions and private businesses, at the weekend advocated for immediate implementation of the recommendations of the 2014 National Conference convened by former President Goodluck Jonathan. The Igbo leaders in a communique from a meeting of South East Governors, Ohanaeze Ndigbo and selected Igbo leaders of thought on the state of the nation at Nike Lake Resort, Enugu, last Saturday, reiterated that need for restructuring of the polity, an advocacy that is rapidly gaining currency across the country, except the conservative power bloc. They insisted on equity, fairness as basis for the corporate existence of Nigeria, maintaining that leaders from all parts of the country should be prepared for immediate dialogue on both national and political questions plaguing Nigeria.
The communique presented by Engr. David Nweze Umahi, Governor of
Ebonyi State; Chairman, South East Governors Forum, indicated that Igbo leaders adopted the following resolutions:
1. That Ndigbo are in support of a united Nigeria where peace, love, fairness, justice, equity and equality of opportunity are paramount regardless of creed, ethnicity, gender or political affiliation.
2. That we condemn all hate speeches and conducts emanating from any segment of Nigeria.
3. That Igbo leaders lend their full support to the restructuring of the Federal Government of Nigeria on the basis of fairness and equity. We, therefore, call on the Federal Government and all Nigerian leaders to commence a process of dialogue among Nigerians in the modalities of achieving this pressing question within a reasonable time frame.
4. That Ndigbo support the report of the National Conference of 2014 and urge the Federal Government to set up structures that will enable the implementation of same within a reasonable time.
5. That the South East Governors, members of the National Assembly from the South East and the leadership of Ohanaeze Ndigbo should, henceforth, constitute the official organs that will speak on behalf of Ndigbo on political matters.
6. That the South East leaders in consultation with leaders from other parts of the country will engage the Federal Government on all areas of concerns to Ndigbo and to Nigeria as a whole.