Latest
2021 Hajj: Saudi Arabia dashes hope of Nigerians
Nigerian Muslims hoping to make the 2021 Hajj should forget about it as the Saudis have extended their ban due to COVID-19.
Saudi Arabia announced today that no more than 60,000 pilgrims would perform the Hajj in July. And all of them will be residents of the Kingdom.
Saudi Press Agency quoted the kingdom’s Haj and Umrah Ministry as making the announcement.
It said this year’s Haj, which will begin in mid-July, will be limited to those ages 18 to 65.
Those taking part must be vaccinated as well, the ministry said.
READ ALSO: Why police fired tear gas at June 12 protesters in Lagos
“The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, which is honoured to host pilgrims every year, confirms that this arrangement comes out of its constant concern for the health, safety and security of pilgrims as well as the safety of their countries,” the statement said.
In last year’s Haj, 1,000 people already residing in Saudi Arabia were selected to take part in the Haj.
Two-thirds were foreign residents from among the 160 different nationalities that would have normally been represented at the Haj.
One-third were Saudi security personnel and medical staff.
-
Latest4 days agoMakinde declares 2027 presidential bid under PDP–APM alliance
-
Business3 days agoNigeria: Whither the fruits of 2026 crude oil windfall?
-
Comments and Issues4 days agoPolitical Parties Primaries: Consensus or Coronation?
-
Business3 days agoTrump-Xi summit sparks fresh questions for Nigeria’s economy, tech sector
-
Featured4 days agoObasanjo faults Tinubu’s economic reforms, calls them necessary but poorly designed
-
Business5 days agoAnger, debate trail proposed $1.25bn loan amid concerns over Nigeria’s debt surge
-
Comments and Issues4 days agoDoes it matter to Africa if Nigel Farage comes to Number 10?
-
Latest4 days agoWike says Makinde’s presidential ambition dead on arrival

