Crime
Buhari weds Sadiya: Update on trial of fake newsmonger
The hearing of charges brought against the originator of the fake wedding video of president Muhammad Buhari and Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Sadiya Faruq could not proceed on Wednesday.
The complainant could not tender the case file.
The suspect, Kabiru Mohammad, was initially charged with defamation and injurious falsehood, and was arraigned before a Kano Magistrates court 72, sitting on Nomansland in Sabon Gari, Kano on 14th January 2020.
Although, DSS paraded Kabiru at its Abuja headquarters, he was brought to Kano on remand proceeding with the aforementioned charges.
Kabiru who had been granted N1 million bail, two sureties and other conditions, was billed to appear before Magistrate Aminu Gabari today for hearing on the substantive charges.
Complainant’s counsel Ishaya B. Bulus sought for adjournment of the case due to delay in the submission of the case file.
Barrister Bulus told the court that process of transmitting the case file to the office of Kano state Attorney-General and commissioner for Justice who will then apply proper legal framework was still in progress.
Counsel to the defendant, Ali A. Jamilu did not object to the complainant’s demand, but he urged the court to reduce part of the bail conditions, particularly the number of days the complainant reported to the DSS office.
Barrister Jamilu argued that the accused person had suffered enough injury, occasioned by the stringent conditions, urging the court to temper justice with mercy.
Magistrate Gabari then granted the application of the defense, and reduced the daily report of Kabiru to DSS to once a week.
The case is adjourned till 24th March 2020, for hearing.
-
Latest4 days agoMakinde declares 2027 presidential bid under PDP–APM alliance
-
Business3 days agoNigeria: Whither the fruits of 2026 crude oil windfall?
-
Comments and Issues5 days agoPolitical Parties Primaries: Consensus or Coronation?
-
Business3 days agoTrump-Xi summit sparks fresh questions for Nigeria’s economy, tech sector
-
Featured4 days agoObasanjo faults Tinubu’s economic reforms, calls them necessary but poorly designed
-
Comments and Issues4 days agoDoes it matter to Africa if Nigel Farage comes to Number 10?
-
Business5 days agoAnger, debate trail proposed $1.25bn loan amid concerns over Nigeria’s debt surge
-
Latest4 days agoWike says Makinde’s presidential ambition dead on arrival

