Connect with us

Latest

Family alleges DSS tried to re-arrest El-Rufai despite court orders, decries intimidation

Published

on

Family alleges DSS tried to re-arrest El-Rufai despite court orders, decries intimidation

 

 

The family of former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, has accused operatives of the Department of State Services (DSS) of attempting to re-arrest him shortly after proceedings at the Federal High Court in Abuja on Monday, in what they described as a violation of subsisting court orders.

According to the family, the alleged move contravened directives of the court mandating that the former governor remain in the custody of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC).

Speaking with journalists outside a DSS facility in Abuja, El-Rufai’s second wife, Hasiat El-Rufai, accused security agencies of subjecting the family to intimidation, surveillance and psychological harassment since his detention.

She claimed that members of the family had been living in constant fear due to what she described as repeated threats and persistent monitoring by security operatives.

“We now live in constant fear. Every day we get threats — DSS is coming to raid your house, ICPC is coming to raid your house, police are coming to raid your house,” she alleged.

READ ALSO: BREAKING: Court grants N100m bail to ex-Kaduna governor Nasir El-Rufai

Hasiat disclosed that the former governor had earlier appeared before Justice Joyce AbdulMalik of the Federal High Court in Abuja, where he was granted bail before the matter was adjourned until 1 p.m.

According to her, during the break in court proceedings, security operatives allegedly attempted to transfer El-Rufai to DSS custody despite two existing court orders from Kaduna directing that he remain in ICPC custody.

She said the former governor resisted the move, insisting that he could not be transferred in defiance of valid court orders.

“He told them he was not going to step down because there were valid court orders directing that he remain in ICPC custody. He said he was not a piece of furniture to be moved around,” she stated.

The family further alleged that after the afternoon court session, another attempt was made to move him into DSS custody, but El-Rufai reportedly refused to cooperate unless physically compelled.

Hasiat also claimed that her husband had been denied access to his personal physicians despite an earlier Kaduna High Court order granting him unrestricted access to legal counsel and medical care.

She added that even after the ICPC’s in-house doctor recommended further medical examination, access to his private doctors was allegedly blocked.

Meanwhile, El-Rufai’s son, Bello El-Rufai, who represents Kaduna North Federal Constituency in the House of Representatives, described the case against his father as politically motivated.

He criticised the bail conditions imposed on the former governor, describing them as excessively stringent and difficult to meet. Bello also questioned what he termed the prolonged detention of his father, alleging that the anti-graft agency had issued misleading public statements about the case.

He disclosed that plans were underway to submit a formal petition to the House of Representatives to review the handling of the matter.

As of the time of filing this report, the DSS and the ICPC had not issued official statements responding to the allegations.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Trending