Featured
Finally, Cristiano Ronaldo breaks silence on his explosive interview, meeting with Bruno Fernandes
Cristiano Ronaldo had last week ‘set Old Trafford on fire’ with his explosive interview with ace journalist Piers Morgan. The interview has left many including some of his former team-mates in shock with many questioning its timing.
Meanwhile, the report now available to National Daily reveals that the 37-year-old Portuguese has finally broken his silence as he defended the timing of his bombshell interview while also urging the media to stop asking his Portugal team-mates about the situation.
The Portugal captain sat down for a 90-minute interview on TalkTV which aired over Wednesday and Thursday last week in which he slammed the club’s hierarchy, accusing them of ‘betrayal’ and said he would ‘never respect’ manager Erik ten Hag.
National Daily earlier gathered that United are believed to be considering tearing up Ronaldo’s contract as a result and released a brief statement on Friday saying they had ‘initiated appropriate steps’ to deal with the matter.
Strangely, the interview has overshadowed Portugal’s preparations for the World Cup, with Ronaldo’s team-mates and manager besieged with questions about their skipper.
Now National Daily learnt Ronaldo has held an impromptu press conference at Portugal’s training ground in Qatar in an effort to quell the storm he has created, defending his interview with Morgan and rubbishing suggestions of any unrest in the camp.
‘Timing is always timing. From your side it is easy to look at how we can choose timings,’ said the former Real Madrid forward.
‘Sometimes you write truths, sometimes you write lies. I don’t have to worry about what others think. I talk when I want to. Everybody knows who I am and what I believe in.’
He continued: ‘Please, don’t ask the players about me. Ask about the World Cup. I’m bulletproof and iron clad.
The five-time Ballon d’Or winner was also asked about a clip that went viral last week of him reuniting with United team-mate Bruno Fernandes for the first time after clips from the interview had started to circulate, in which the pair seemed to be rather frosty with one another.
But now Ronaldo has clarified that they were just ‘playing around’ and he had been giving his countryman stick for arriving late to the training camp.
‘His plane was late,’ explained Ronaldo when asked about what appeared to be an awkward exchange with Fernandes. ‘I asked him if he had come by boat.’
The likes of Bernando Silva and Ruben Neves had all fielded questions about Ronaldo following his interview, with the latter saying over the weekend: ‘He doesn’t worry us at all, we as a team know perfectly well what we need to work on so that each individual stands out on gameday.
‘If we’re good as a team, Cristiano will be phenomenal.’
He added: ‘It’s impossible for us to walk around without been asked about the controversy, but I don’t think there’s any controversy at all between us in the changing room. We have a spectacular environment right here.
-
Business5 days agoNigeria: Whither the fruits of 2026 crude oil windfall?
-
Latest6 days agoMakinde declares 2027 presidential bid under PDP–APM alliance
-
Comments and Issues6 days agoPolitical Parties Primaries: Consensus or Coronation?
-
Business5 days agoTrump-Xi summit sparks fresh questions for Nigeria’s economy, tech sector
-
Comments and Issues6 days agoDoes it matter to Africa if Nigel Farage comes to Number 10?
-
Business4 days agoNigeria’s foreign debt climbs 22% to $51.86bn under Tinubu administration
-
Comments and Issues6 days agoIs France Real or Playing Ping Pong With Africa?
-
Comments and Issues5 days agoThe “Onuku” Called Kenneth Okonkwo

