Latest
NANS plans nationwide protest in Oyo over abducted students, teachers
The National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) has announced plans for a nationwide solidarity protest in Oyo State over the abduction of students and teachers during an attack on schools in Oriire Local Government Area.
The protest, scheduled for Monday, June 1, 2026, is aimed at demanding urgent action from security agencies and government authorities to secure the release of the victims still being held by suspected kidnappers.
The planned demonstration follows the May 15 attack on three schools in the Ahoro-Esiele and Yawota communities, where armed men reportedly invaded the institutions during school hours.
The affected schools include Community High School/Grammar School, L.A. Primary School in Ahoro-Esiele, and Yawota Baptist Nursery and Primary School.
During the attack, a teacher identified as Michael Oyedokun was reportedly killed, while several teachers and students were abducted. Authorities said some of the victims remain missing.
NANS National President, Akinteye Babatunde Afeez, said the student body could no longer remain silent over the growing insecurity affecting schools and learning environments across the country.
“The continued detention of innocent pupils, students, and teachers is deeply disturbing and unacceptable,” he said in a statement calling on student leaders and civil society groups to participate in the protest.
According to NANS, the protest will begin with visits to the affected communities and schools to show solidarity with victims’ families and local residents.
Demonstrators are also expected to march to the Oyo State Police Command headquarters and the office of the Department of State Services (DSS) in Ibadan to demand intensified rescue efforts and improved security around schools.
The planned action comes amid mounting concerns from teachers’ groups and residents over the deteriorating security situation in parts of Oyo State.
Seyi Makinde had earlier assured residents that the state government was working with security agencies to ensure the safe return of the abducted victims.
“We will not give in to terror,” the governor reportedly said following security meetings on the incident, pledging that every lawful effort would be explored to secure the release of the captives.
The abductions have reignited calls for stronger implementation of the Safe Schools Initiative and improved protection for educational institutions, particularly in rural communities vulnerable to attacks.
Security operations are said to be ongoing as authorities continue efforts to locate the abductors and rescue those still in captivity.
-
Featured1 week agoOsun 2026: What the battle could signal for 2027 general elections
-
Latest1 week agoCoca-Cola faces backlash over alleged AI filter blocking Christian messages
-
Featured1 week agoOsun Election: How poverty turns ₦20,000 into a powerful vote-buying tool
-
Latest1 week agoOsun poll: Chaos in Ejigbo as voters, INEC officials run for safety
-
Latest1 week agoOsun 2026: 10 LGAs that could decide the governorship election
-
Latest1 week agoOsun Poll: Police dispute Speaker’s siege claim, nab 300 at politician’s residence
-
Latest1 week agoOsun poll: Adeleke accuses Police of aiding APC supporters to disrupt voting [VIDEO]
-
Latest5 days agoTinubu files: US Judge grants four-day extension in FOIA disclosure battle


