Covid-19
Parents threaten NYC with lawsuit over mask mandate for school kids
Local parents have threatened to file a lawsuit against New York City to drop the mask mandate for school children below the age of five describing the mandate as being harmful to the kids.
“These aren’t just dress-code policies that have no impact on someone’s life,” said attorney Michael Chessa.
“For many of us, this is something we find harmful for our children. We want to have the choice whether to do it or not.”
The group of about a dozen parents from throughout the five boroughs plans to argue that the city has to pass a law to enforce the mandate.
“If the Department of Health sees fit to put these into place, then they have to bring them to the City Council and the City Council has to say, ‘OK, we’re going to pass these city laws,’” said Chessa, a former Brooklyn assistant district attorney.
READ ALSO: Acute kidney injury, cardiac arrest among over 1,000 COVID vaccine adverse effects – document
Along with ending the mask mandate for students over 5 on Monday, the city is dropping proof-of-vaccination requirements at restaurants, gyms and other indoor settings. (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer, File)
Along with ending the mask mandate for students over 5 on Monday, the city is dropping proof-of-vaccination requirements at restaurants, gyms and other indoor settings.
Last month, Gov. Hochul lifted the state’s mask mandate for workplaces and businesses. Weeks later, she ended the mask mandate for students, citing declining COVID case numbers and high vaccination rates, leaving it up to localities on whether to keep their own rules in place.
Along with ending the mask mandate for students over 5 on Monday, the city is dropping proof-of-vaccination requirements at restaurants, gyms and other indoor settings.
At a Friday press conference, Mayor Adams defended the decision to keep the mask mandate for kids 5 and under in place.
“People wanted to say, ‘Let’s lift it across the board,’ but that’s not what the science was showing us,” he told reporters. “I know some people are concerned. I would rather people complain against me, than losing my babies in our city.”
Chessa, the parent of a 3-year-old girl and 15-year-old boy in public schools, insisted he and the plaintiffs are not against using facial coverings.
“Nothing I am doing is anti-mask,” he said. “All I am doing is pro-choice. I am just pushing this so that parents have the choice to do what they want.”
-
Featured7 days agoOsun 2026: What the battle could signal for 2027 general elections
-
Business1 week agoWho is really benefiting from Nigeria’s economic reforms?
-
Featured7 days agoOsun Election: How poverty turns ₦20,000 into a powerful vote-buying tool
-
Latest6 days agoCoca-Cola faces backlash over alleged AI filter blocking Christian messages
-
Business1 week agoPound climbs to N1,837 as Naira holds steady amid stronger FX market liquidity
-
Latest6 days agoOsun poll: Chaos in Ejigbo as voters, INEC officials run for safety
-
Latest7 days agoOsun 2026: 10 LGAs that could decide the governorship election
-
Featured1 week agoOsun Decides: Security tightened as millions prepare to choose next governor


