Politics
Curfew: INEC suspends voters’ registration in 5 LGs in Plateau
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) says it has suspended the ongoing Continuous Voters’ Registration exercise in five local governments of Plateau.
A statement by Mrs Caroline Okpe, INEC Administrative Secretary, on behalf of the Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC), on Monday in Jos said the suspension was due to the curfew imposed by the state government.
“The suspension will affect the registration centres in Barkin Ladi, Bassa, Jos East, Jos North and Riyom local councils until further notice.
“INEC wishes to assure fresh voters, who had problems with their PVCs, that they would be promptly attended to as soon as the situation improves,’’ Okpe said.
There had been security breaches in some parts of Jos Metropolis, leading to the killings of innocent travelers on Rukuba Road in Jos North Local Government.
The victims were said to be returning from the annual Islamic New Year Zikr in Bauchi State when they were attacked by persons said by the police to be “hoodlums”.
President Muhammadu Buhari, as well as governors all over the country, have condemned the killings and called on security agents to find the perpetrators
Okpe said that INEC had to suspend the exercise because it could not carry out such duty due to the unfortunate security breach, which compelled Plateau Government to impose a 24-hour curfew on Jos North.
The state government also imposed a 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew on Bassa and Jos South local governments due to the attacks.
She said INEC would ensure that all eligible citizens in the state were registered when the situation improved.
-
Featured1 week agoOsun 2026: What the battle could signal for 2027 general elections
-
Latest1 week agoCoca-Cola faces backlash over alleged AI filter blocking Christian messages
-
Featured1 week agoOsun Election: How poverty turns ₦20,000 into a powerful vote-buying tool
-
Latest1 week agoOsun poll: Chaos in Ejigbo as voters, INEC officials run for safety
-
Latest1 week agoOsun Poll: Police dispute Speaker’s siege claim, nab 300 at politician’s residence
-
Latest1 week agoOsun poll: Adeleke accuses Police of aiding APC supporters to disrupt voting [VIDEO]
-
Latest5 days agoTinubu files: US Judge grants four-day extension in FOIA disclosure battle
-
Latest7 days agoOsun Decides: INEC declares Adeleke winner


